You can spend your hard-earned Renown in one of two ways:
Immediately before a game, you can spend it on Renown Bonusus, which are cheap and cheerful, and will give you a slight edge for that game.At any time between games, you can spend it on Renown Upgrades, which are pricey but permanent! These need to be noted down on your army list.
The list of available bonuses and upgrades might seem small to start with, but as the campaign goes on, new things could well appear – watch this space!
Unless otherwise stated, each of these may be bought as many times as you like.
- Ranald’s Blessing (1 Renown) – At any time in the game, you may re-roll any or all of the dice in a single roll made during your turn. You may not force your opponent to re-roll dice, and you may not re-roll a re-roll!
- Kislevite Courage (2 Renown) – When buying this bonus, pick a unit. It may re-roll the first Leadership test it fails in the game.
- Barricade (2 Renown) – Once you know where you are deploying, but before deploying any models, you may place a single obstacle up to 6” long anywhere in your deployment zone. This follows all the rules for fences. For 3 Renown, you may instead deploy a Heavy Barricade, which follows all the rules for walls.
- Local Guides (2 Renown) – This bonus gives a single infantry or cavalry unit in your army the Ambushers rule for this game. This may not be used on characters, or a unit that contains characters.
- Forced March (2 Renown) – This bonus gives a single infantry or cavalry unit in your army, as well as any characters that join them, the Vanguard rule for this game.
- Quicksilver Potion (3 Renown) – This bonus gives a single infantry unit in your army the Swiftstride rule for the duration of the game.
Unless otherwise stated, each of these may only be bought once per army.
- Inspired Leadership (8 Renown) – Your general’s Inspiring Presence radius increases by 6″.
- Fieldcraft (10 Renown) – All infantry models in your army may re-roll failed Dangerous Terrain tests.
- Battlefield Surgeons (10 Renown) – This may be used once per game on any unit that is not in combat and not fleeing. That unit may not move (but counts as moving for purposes of shooting, etc), and immediately regains D6 wounds’ worth of models. This may not take it over its original number of models.
- Magical Mastery (12 Renown) – Whenever you roll for the Winds of Magic, you may choose to re-roll a single dice.
- Improved Engineering (8 Renown) – You may ignore the first Misfire you roll on the Artillery dice each game, instead counting it as a roll of a 2.